The original Madison Brass Band was founded in 1863 by George Scherer. Its first members were businessmen, cobblers, cigar-makers, stone-cutters, and a saloon proprietor. Only one member was a professional musician. The band went into remission for many years.
Madison, Wisconsin. September 10, 1879. The Madison Brass Band at Camp Randall, facing east towards the state capitol, during the 1879 Wisconsin State Fair.